How to Choose the Right Local Keywords and Dominate Google
Keywords and SEO play a crucial role in the success of any business, whether it’s an eCommerce venture or a traditional brick-and-mortar establishment targeting local customers. To effectively reach your local clientele, you need to implement a solid SEO strategy that incorporates carefully selected local keywords. In this article, we will delve into the significance of local keywords and provide you with valuable insights on how to choose the right ones to boost your online presence and dominate Google’s search results.
What Are Local Keywords?
Local keywords are similar to standard keywords as they help search engines identify and present your website and marketing content to potential customers seeking the specific solutions your business offers. However, local keywords have an additional layer of locale-specific words and phrases that assist people in your area in finding and learning more about your products or services. These keywords are essential for optimizing any business targeting a specific location.
Typically, local keywords are based on a core term, similar to standard keywords. However, they also incorporate a modifier, such as “best” or “top,” and a location indicator, such as a state, city, community, or neighborhood. The combination of these elements helps refine the search results and increase the visibility of your business to local customers.
Why Do Local Keywords Matter?
Although local keywords may have lower overall search volumes compared to standard keywords, their importance cannot be overstated. Around 76 percent of smartphone users who search for nearby businesses on Google end up visiting at least one of the suggested businesses within a day. Moreover, approximately 28 percent of these users make a purchase from the selected business.
Local keywords offer several significant benefits for your business:
- Improved Discoverability: By incorporating local keywords, you make it easier for potential customers to find your business on Google.
- Targeted Traffic: Local keywords drive highly relevant traffic to your business, increasing the chances of conversion.
- Enhanced User Intent: Local keywords help search engines understand the specific intent of users and match it with the solutions your business provides.
- Establishing Local Authority: Consistently utilizing local keywords can contribute to building your reputation as a trusted local company, attracting more customers in the process.
How to Conduct Local Keyword Research
Now that you understand the importance of local keywords, let’s explore some key strategies for conducting effective local keyword research:
1. Find Industry-Specific Keywords
To kickstart your local keyword research, begin with a broad selection of industry-specific keywords. Consider the terms or phrases that potential customers might use when searching for businesses similar to yours. These keywords can include product names, service types, and specific industry terms. By starting broad, you can later refine your choices to make them more location-specific.
2. Incorporate Keyword Modifiers
Many consumers refine their searches by adding modifiers to their queries when looking for local businesses or products. Examples of common modifiers include terms like “best,” “top,” “cheap,” “free,” or words related to specific occasions or product characteristics. By incorporating these modifiers into your keyword selection, you can align your business offerings with the precise needs of your target audience and boost click-through rates.
3. Determine Targeted Locations
When conducting thorough local keyword research, it is crucial to consider the geographical locations you wish to target. Modern consumers prioritize convenience, preferring businesses located in close proximity to their current location. Therefore, anticipate the various ways potential customers might word their search queries for local businesses like yours. Specific neighborhoods, cities, districts, counties, states, or even countries may be added to search terms to refine results. Create dedicated landing pages for each location-based keyword and optimize them by incorporating the keywords into metadata, title tags, headings, on-page content, blog posts, and social media posts.
4. Mix and Match for Optimal Results
Local keywords, being more specialized, may not generate high search volumes compared to broader keywords. However, they attract highly relevant local leads who are more likely to convert into customers. To find the best options for your SEO campaign, experiment with mixing and matching core keywords, modifiers, and locations. This creative approach can help you uncover potential keyword combinations that align perfectly with your business and target audience. Examples include “best coffee shop near me,” “cheap wedding dresses in Chicago,” or “divorce lawyer in Austin.”
5. Seek Inspiration Creatively
To discover fresh local keyword ideas, unleash your creativity and ingenuity. Enter your primary target keywords directly into Google’s search bar and take note of the autocomplete suggestions that appear. These suggestions can often lead to valuable keyword variations you may not have considered otherwise. Additionally, analyze your competitors’ strategies to identify clever keyword combinations they have utilized on their websites and social media platforms. By building upon their tactics and offering even better content, you can gain a competitive edge.
6. Balance Search Volume and Relevancy
Once you have compiled a list of potential local keywords, it’s time to narrow down your choices. Strike a balance between search volume and relevancy to select the most effective keywords for your SEO efforts. Prioritize keywords with higher search volumes, but ensure they remain relevant to your business. This approach demonstrates to Google that your business is highly pertinent to the targeted search terms, which can boost your search rankings. Strengthen your local SEO by complementing it with on-page optimizations, relevant social signals, and by claiming and updating your Google My Business profile. Consider implementing a coordinated PPC campaign through Google Ads to further augment your organic SEO efforts.
Local Keyword Research Tools
If you’re new to researching local keywords and want to streamline the process, consider using specialized tools that simplify keyword discovery and analysis. Here are four valuable tools every local marketer should explore:
- Google Keyword Planner: This well-known tool, frequently utilized for general keyword research, is equally effective for finding local keywords. Benefit from Google Keyword Planner to discover relevant options for your business, gain insights into keyword performance, and make informed decisions.
- Keywords Everywhere: This Chrome add-on perfectly complements tools like Google Keyword Planner. While not suitable for compiling an entire keyword list, it offers on-the-fly access to relevant options and data.
- Moz Keyword Explorer: A high-caliber alternative to Google Keyword Planner, Moz Keyword Explorer boasts an extensive database with over a billion keywords. It provides in-depth analysis, allowing you to understand the ranking factors and predict search volumes with impressive accuracy.
- Ubersuggest: Created by renowned SEO expert Neil Patel, Ubersuggest offers valuable insights into your competitors’ strategies and performance. By entering keywords or URLs, you can gain comprehensive information that enhances the effectiveness of your local SEO campaign.
Wrap Up: Mastering Local SEO for Success
By selecting the right local keywords and implementing an effective local SEO strategy, you can dominate localized search engine results and boost your rankings within your niche. However, local keyword research is just one aspect of a comprehensive local SEO campaign. To ensure long-term success, familiarize yourself with crucial local SEO ranking factors that every business owner and digital marketer should know. Explore our comprehensive guide, which provides insights into all the essential elements necessary to drive your local business forward and achieve ongoing success in the digital landscape.